Well, to follow up from my last post first, after chatting to a chappy from the Capri Club International at the Classic Motorshow this weekend, it turns out that later Mk3’s were fitted with front arch panels to stop the wing filling up with debris … and conveniently CCI sell a repro for 42 quid for the pair. Looks like I’ll be getting a set, unless anyone knows of a cheaper source ?

I’m sure I should have bought more stuff while I was there, but given I don’t really know what I need to be doing, it seemed pointless buying up every gadget and gizmo just cos’ it was 50p off.  Did pick up a set of Goodridge hoses though, for when I get round to refurbing the calipers (oh, I see CCI do a caliper refurb kit too!). 

Managed to get back out to the garage tonight, and having set the valve clearances per the book (0.2mm inlet, 0.25mm exhaust), refitted and checked the spray bar and refitted the freshened-up rocker cover with a new gasket I fired it up to check I’d still got a working car. Nothing Worked my way back round everything I’d been fiddling with and discovered that I’d dislodged the wire going from the suppressor(?) on the condenser back to the coil whilst hand-cranking the engine. Finished following the ignition path round, found nothing else, so tried firing again and it sprung into life OK, so I know it’s not exactly rocket science, but two weeks ago I knew bugger all about what happened after I turned the key 

Next, I moved round to the carb which looks to be in serious need of a clean up, if not an overhaul.

Weber 32/36 carb with 30 years of grime

My enthusiasm for taking the carb apart is, of course, in no way related to having made a cheapy book find at the show 

Weber Carburettors - Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual

With the engine running, I gave a few short squirts of carb cleaner to the choke flaps to which the engine responded by stuttering momentarily and throwing smoke out the exhaust. Pretty much as expected, I believe. I was about to set to with the cleaner round the outside of the carb when I noticed a definite drip running off the brass nut under the fuel intake  Switched off, checked the nut for tightness, then checked the little filter and all was clear. It was at this point I noticed there’s a small split in the end of the fuel line coming from the pump, and once I’d got a good light down there I discovered the whole area’s covered in a sticky yellow goo which I assume to be old fuel, so I’m guessing it’s been leaking for a while. At least it’s probably not dangerous to have fuel squirting out into a hot engine bay

With not having a fire extinguisher in the garage yet, I decided to call it a night and slunk back indoors for a cuppa. Given that those fuel lines are getting on a bit, I think I’ll replace them all as I can’t say I’ve got much confidence in ’em at the minute. Off to the interweb then to find a supplier …